From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 10:35:13 -0700
At 08:08 AM 7/21/2004, you wrote:
>I don't think that you want to mix your 7200 rpm and your 10000 rpm drives
>in a RAID arrangement.  You'll lose the advantage of having a 10000 rpm
>drive.

Not so, but you will loose some performance, because the data will come off
the 10K drive faster then the 72K drive, causing some delay as it is put
back together. It is best to have identical drives.

>The RAID configuration cannot be across different types of controllers.

Not true. In fact in a software RAID using different controllers is desirable.

>10,000 rpm drives run hot, so cooling is a significant concern.  Whether

10K SCSI drives run hot, but 10K SATA Raptors are not much different,
thermally, then your average high end 72K PATA drive.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://freepctech.com

you'll need extra cooling will depend on your case and how the fans are
>arranged in it.  Many have an intake fan placed in the front to blow over
>the hard drive cage, which is usually placed just adjacent to this fan.
>
>John Sproule

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com