From:
Dean Kiley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 08:39:20 -0500
The fatal exceptions may be a result of something gone bad with the original installation of W95, and the upgrade may not be catching it. PB and HP used recovery disks that contained all necessary drivers for the original system, and just installing the upgrade may not contain all the necessary shares and drivers for your particular systen config. The same thing just happened to me when upgrading from W98 to WME. I had to reformat with the original recovery disk, then do the upgrade, and then go to the Win. Update and get all the patches. After this was accomplished, the system had absolutely no conflicts, and the machne has been functioning flawlessly since.

Keep in mind that M$ will be discontinuing on line support on the W98 updates sometiime this month, and with all the conflicting stories, and M$'s own publication, it's difficult to tell just what will be discontinued, and what will not be. In either case, the sooner you do this the better.

Also, upon sucess of getting your system up and running, It may be advenatgeous to purchase a large USB pen drive, and a copy of Ghost, make an inage of your OS to the pen drive as a back up in anticipation of M$ not suporting 98 in the future.

Perhaps one of the other guru's would have a better solution, but I think that is what I do.

My two cents!! Good lusk

Dean Kiley...