From:
David Abbe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Mar 1999 07:11:07 -0600
HI David,

Personally, I would suggest putting the hard drives on one channel.  6.4
(master) 13 (slave).  Then put cd rom burner as master then the cd rom
drive as slave on second ide channel.  If you mix and match by putting a
cd rom and hard drive on the same channel, it will slow down performance
of your hard drive as the HDD will only be as fast as the slowest device
on the same channel.  (or so that is my understanding).  I'm not sure it
matters which you put as master in the secondary channel, burner or
player.  If you are adding both of these to your system, it may be
whichever you grab first. :-)  If you already have the cd rom drive, just
slap the burner in as slave.  It will work fine, or at least has in my
cases.

Have a great one....
David A. Abbe

On Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:59:11 -0500 David Murtaugh <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I've got a 400 Mhz Pentium II system that I'm trying to add some items
>to.
>I've got a 6.4 gig Eide harddrive as a master on my first ide channel.
>I'm
>adding a 13 gig harddrive, a cd-rom player and a cd-rom burner to the
>other ide slots. I need to know if there is any particular order that
>these other items should be placed in (Channel 1-2, master-slave)
>that
>would give me the best performance. This is using busmastered
>drivers.
>None of the manuals of these items seem to mention anything about
>where
>their placement would be best other than making sure that each channel
>has
>one master and one slave item. The 6.4 gig harddrive is my main boot
>drive
>and will remain on the first channel as the master. Any other item can
>be
>configured for any position.
>
>                                Dave Murtaugh
>
>                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
>                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html