From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2006 08:09:56 -0600
As they say, "If you have to ask the price, then you can't afford it."

In this case, if you bought your computer at the store, it doesn't have the 64 bit edition.

Which is just fine as Mark and James have pointed out.

The 64 bit edition would be needed if you had a software application that could use it.  For example,
suppose that you had some program to make massive calculations (for the space program or national debt or
something).  And, if that program were written and compiled to use 64 bit calculations.  And that program
was, likely, the only program that was used on the computer, for the most part, anyway.  Then, you would
want the 64 bit operating system to get the full performance (calculation speed) of the 64 bit processor.
As Mark pointed out, such programs are few and far between, because no manufacturer of everyday computers
wants to risk  major hassles for their customers.

Dean Kukral