From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 1999 18:59:51 -0400
It could be 1 of 2 things or both. I'm in a repair class that I have to take
in college and I learned when the power supply starts it tests its stuff, if
all is good it sends a  POWER GOOD signal to the motherboard and the
motherboard boots and goes into POST. Either that signal isn't being sent to
your board or your board is unable to recognize the signal thus preventing
POST to occur.

The Following is From Upgrading and Repairing PCs by Mueller 10th Ed.
 Chapter 6 pg 409)

            " ......This power supply sends the signal to the motherboard,
where it is received by the processor timer chip, wich controls the reset
line to the processor.  In the absence of
                Power_Good, the timer chip continuously resets the
processor, which prevents the system from running under bad or suntable
paower conditions.  When the timer chip                         receives the
Power_Good signal, it stops resetting the processor, and the processor
begins executing whaterver code isa t address FFFF:0000 (usually the ROM
BIOS)."

--Patrick Black
http://webpages.marshall.edu/~black27/