From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2000 10:31:35 -0400
Just another opinion...  How about wind chill factor?
Isn't that when things are cooler than they might normally
be because of the movement of air?
Isn't the critical question here the AMOUNT of air moving?
Heat goes into the air... That is a law of Physics.
Get rid of the air with an open case, or good air flow through
a closed case, and you get rid of the heat...  Period...

While there are guidelines, each person doing this will get
slightly? different results.
(Kinda like the way this whole computer thing turns out...)
                Rick Glazier

> > i think this makes sense, altho i have no idea whether critical components
> >actually run cooler with the cover off or on. i guess the only way to
> >really know would be to measure the temp on a bunch. i don't have an
> >appropriate thermometer, tho.
>

>    The important element in my opinion is that ventilator fans are typically
> that---uncooled fans. If you had a car with no air conditioning would you
> run it with vents open and the windows closed? Not in the summertime. But if
> a computer had true airconditioning cooling fans then it would make sense to
> contain that cool air with the cover closed...just like a car with air
> conditioning. With just fans you will probably cool a case better with doors
> removed if the room temperature is cool. YMMV.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html