From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 08:34:24 -0500
I think the new core thing only applies to AMD chips in the Thoroughbred
and Barton series.  The Palomino series never changed from 180 nm (as far
as I know.)  The package changed from model 6 to model 8., but I'm not sure
the core changed with that.  (AMD makes this very hard to look up.)
If it did, AMD is getting as good as Intel as far as making this impossible
to understand...

If there is an "A" or "B" after "XP, it is likely the newer Thoroughbred.

Palominos and Thoroughbreds overlapped in a very *general* way (as far as
speed only), from 1700+ to 2100+ (where Palominos ended).

It would be very likely that a new BIOS might be required, especially if the
MotherBoard has limited and/or no jumpers, and if CPU settings are set automatically.

The XP-SP1 thing might be a company policy against that SP... (??)
Or a limit set in SUS... (??)

I'm running two OEM XP-Pros, and a Retail NFR-FPP,  and none are SP-1 yet.
(Unless the FPP came with SP1 embedded. Since I have both types of FPPs,
I would have to go look...)  I knew everyone not running SP1 would be branded
a pirate as soon as I saw SP1 come out...  Remember, it was not my question...
The list has a way of getting confused and assigning a question to the wrong person...

I do run the MSIE6SP-1, and all other patches except for the last three big "bell and
whistle" patches... (I forget what they are...)

                                            Rick Glazier

From: "Ultra" <[log in to unmask]>
> First, try flash BIOS to latest, your mobo may have problem with XP CPU,
> especially lately they almost all changed to new core.
>
> Second, you have a pirated copy of XP which start with "FCKGW" key, it is
> illegal, and thework around, is illegal too.  Remember the list is under
> DMCA.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml