From:
Bharat Ale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:22:44 +0530
PCBUILD Digest - 8 Jan 2001 to 9 Jan 2001 (#2001-10)Hello,

I've got a Seagate 4.3 GB HDD which cannot be formated or partitioned. I
even zero filled the drive, low level formated it using Seagate's own
DiscWizard program. Everything seems to go fine and no error message is
given - says the task was successfully completed. Once the computer is
restarted - everything is there intact. I also used Ranish Partition Manager
to remove (and also add) partitions, I did with Linux too, and I did with
disk-editor also. None of them generate any error - it seems as if all went
fine - then I reboot its back there (the partitions, the files - all). Its
as if the HDD is in read only mode (I checked bios for that too). Tried
overwriting MBR, changed HDD cable, tried the same HDD in several
computers - no success.

When I deltree or delete a file or directory, its deleted for that session
but once I reboot - its back there. Also if I create a file - its created
for that instance but it never is there when I reboot.

What could be the problem ? What would be a reasonable answer to all this ?
I'm in digest mode - so if you've any suggestions could you please mail me a
copy directly.

TIA

Bharat

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,