From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 08:39:50 -0600
The last HD I installed was a Western Digital. It came with software that made installing the new drive in whatever configuration I wanted very easy. In my case it automatically made the new drive the 'C' drive and the old drive became the "D" drive with all the files transferred to the "C" drive. Other HD manufacturers probably have similar software. I previously had used Norton's "Ghost" for HD replacements and still use it for complete backups from 'C' to 'D'.

I did not have to reactivate XP when I changed the HD.

I went to WD hard drives a couple of years ago and have not had any problems at all. WD hard drives are frequently on sale and/or offer rebates.

Previously I used Maxtor and Seagate drives without any problems.

Your selection might come down to the warrenty on the HD.

Tom Mayer