From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 04:29:35 -0500
At 12:43 3/18/99 -0500, Reinaldo Rodriguez wrote:
>> When I go into system properties --> performance, it says it's
>> RUNNING IN DOS-COMPATABILITY MODE.
>
>The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar, 1 gig capacity. It
>doesn't have any remapping software, and there isn't anything
>unusual in the CONFIG.SYS. file. It was booting up fine before
>I switched over to FAT 32.

I quote some of the material from two Microsoft articles:

"Troubleshooting MS-DOS Compatibility Mode on Hard Disks" at
<http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q130/1/79.asp>

MS-DOS Compatibility mode may be in use for any of the following
reasons:
*An "unsafe" device driver, memory-resident program, or virus
 hooked the INT21h or INT13h chain before Windows 95 loaded.
*The hard disk controller in your computer was not detected by
 Windows 95.
*The hard disk controller was removed from the current
 configuration in Device Manager.
*There is a resource conflict between the hard disk controller
 and another hardware device.
*The Windows 95 protected-mode driver is missing or damaged.
*The Windows 95 32-bit protected-mode disk drivers detected
 an unsupportable configuration or incompatible hardware.

Check to make sure that the hard disk controller is listed in
Device Manager.

If it is not listed, install it with the Add New Hardware Wizard.
If the Wizard does not detect the controller, run the Wizard
again but do not let the Wizard detect the hardware in your
computer. Instead, select the controller from the hardware list.

NOTE: If the hard disk controller is listed in Device Manager
but has a red X over it, it has been removed from the current
hardware profile. Click Properties for the controller in Device
Manager and then click the check box corresponding to the
current hardware profile under Device Usage.

2. If the hard disk controller is listed in Device Manager but
has a yellow exclamation point over it, there is an IRQ, I/O,
DMA, or RAM address conflict with another device, the
protected-mode driver is missing or damaged, or the "Disable
all 32-bit protected-mode disk drivers" check box is selected
in File System properties.

a. Check to make sure that the "Disable all 32-bit protected-mode
disk drivers" check box has not been selected on the
Troubleshooting tab in File System properties. To access this tab,
double-click System in Control Panel, click the Performance tab,
and then click File System.

b. Resolve any resource (IRQ, I/O, DMA, or RAM address) conflicts
with other devices. Consult the controller's documentation for
information about resource usage and changing resource usage.

c. Check to make sure that the protected-mode driver is in the
Windows\SYSTEM\IOSUBSYS directory and is loading properly. To
determine which driver is providing 32-bit disk access, click
Properties for the controller in Device Manager and click the
Driver tab to see which driver files are associated with the
controller.

NOTE: If you are using an IDE, EIDE, or ESDI hard disk controller,
the Driver tab may not be present when you click Properties for
the controller in Device Manager. Unless you are using a third-
party driver, Esdi_506.pdr is the protected-mode driver that is
used to provide 32-bit disk access for these controllers.

Restart Windows 95 and press F8 at the "Starting Windows 95"
message, and then choose Logged (/BOOTLOG.TXT) start from the
Windows 95 Startup Menu. Examine the just-created BOOTLOG.TXT
file to determine if the driver listed above is loading properly.

In Windows 98, press and hold the CTRL key until you see the
Windows 98 Startup menu, and then choose Logged (/BOOTLOG.TXT).

If the BOOTLOG.TXT file shows an "Init Failure" or "Load Failure"
message for the driver listed above, proceed with step D. If the
BOOTLOG.TXT file shows an "INITCOMPLETESUCCESS" message for the
drive listed above, examine the IOS.LOG file.

Windows 95 creates an IOS.LOG file in the Windows directory if
any drives are using MS-DOS Compatibility mode. The first few
lines of the IOS.LOG file may contain information describing why
the protected-mode disk driver failed to load.

d. Make sure the protected-mode driver is not damaged.

For all ESDI and IDE drives, Windows 95 uses ESDI_506.PDR in the
IOSUBSYS directory to provide 32-bit disk access.

Manually extract the appropriate .PDR file from the Windows
disks or CD-ROM, or run Setup and choose the Verify option.

From "MS-DOS Compatibility Mode Problems with PCI-IDE Controllers"
at http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q151/9/11.asp

To cause Windows to attempt to reinitialize the protected-mode IDE
driver, remove the NOIDE entry from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CURRENTCONTROLSET\SERVICES\VXD\IOS

If you are using Windows 98, navigate to the Tools\Mtsutil
folder on the Windows 98 CD-ROM, right-click the Noide.inf file,
and then click Install. This should remove a NOIDE entry if it
exists. After you use this file, restart your computer.

If you are using Windows 95, you must use REGEDIT (from the Start,
Run Menu) to manually remove this entry.

After you update the registry, restart Windows. Windows will then
attempt to initialize the protected-mode driver for the controller.
If no problems are encountered, the file system and virtual memory
will operate in 32-bit mode, and Device Manager will not display
an exclamation point in a yellow circle for the IDE channels.

If the protected-mode driver is not initialized properly, an error
message will be displayed and the NOIDE registry entry will be
re-created. Windows will use the MS-DOS compatibility mode file
system the next time you start the computer.

Your problem can also be caused by a boot sector computer virus.
You could download the shareware (evaluation) version of
"AntiViral Toolkit Pro" from <http://www.avp.com/avp/avp.html>.
This is one of the best of the anti virus programs.

Regards,
Bill

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html