From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:03:15 -0500
> >I am afraid this is just not the case, as I am involved in tech support
> >for an
> >ISP, the root of most "I can't connect.." problems is: winmodems.
> >
> >I don't see how the architecture of the modem can affect an "I can't
> >connect..." problem, but since you work with modems on a daily (if not
> >hourly) basis, I defer to your experience.
>
> The only Winmodems that I have ever seen problems with are modems that
> utlize the PC Tel chipset. These modems or at least the ones that I have
> delt with are soft HSP modems and use the CPU for all modem functions. I
> have replaced them with generic Rockwell chipset modems both soft and
> regular winmodems and had no further problems. I have also used
> modems using
> Cirus Logic and Lucent chipsets with success although I prefer Rockwell
> chipset.
>
> I feel as if the "winmodem" gets a bad rap because they are all
> lumped into
> one group. There are PCI winmodems that require only a 486 class system to
> function and do not use enough system resources to be noticed even on a
> system as slow as a P60. With the cheapest new systems running in the PII
> 233-266 range, 99.9% of the home users with new systems would
> notice little
> or no difference between a $29 56.6 modem and a $150 56.6 modem.
> I currently
> use a PCI softmodem that sells for around $29 on my K6-2 300Mhz
> system and a
> regular $35dual chip PCI winmodem on my daughters P60. I can brouse the
> internet and play games on either system online without any problems.

     While I do agree winmodems are unfairly lumped into one class, I
believe they should be. Winmodems obviously do work very well for some
people (you included), however any piece of hardware that relies on the host
is something I would not ever recommend, especially if you plan to do
something outside of the mainstream. Ever tried your winmodem in DOS, Linux,
BeOS, OS/2 or even WinNT? Sure, many people never use these OS's, but then
many others do. Aside from this, the PC platform is already unstable enough,
adding another hardware level driver is again something that I wouldn't
recommend, considering that you are trusting some unnamed company to develop
a stable enough driver. About the only Winmodem I'd even consider is a 3Com
(US Robotics) winmodem, they are the only ones that I would trust plainly
because they have their name behind them, and they have been in the winmodem
game the longest. Of course, this debate has been going on for many years,
started by the RPI issue, and will probably never end.

> Like it or not, PCI Winmodems are here for a while and the ISA
> slot probably
> isn't.

     People have been saying for years that ISA is on it's way out, yet
almost every board sold today still has them. The simple reason is for many
devices you don't need more than ISA, and the extral cost of PCI or for
external choices USB. The day ISA is gone, I'll start worrying about this.
Of course I prefer external modems so this issue is mostly moot for me. TTYL

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]