From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:19:58 -0700
I have had this happen on a old 486. It is most likely a thermal,
connection, or a Power Supply issue.  When the PC heats up the pieces
expand making for better electrical connections. This explains why it works
after it is warmed up.

I would disassemble everything, clean your contact points with a pencil
erasure and or a small piece of emery paper, and then replug the connectors
making sure everything is tight. Replace any power connectors that look
suspect. Pull all the cards, RAM, and CPU, and then use compressed air and
a vacuum to blow the dust out.  I like to hold the plastic vacuum hose from
my shop vac in one hand, while I use canned compressed air in the other to
blow the dust off the boards. Use the erasure to clean the card(s) and RAM
contacts. If you see anything that needs a cleaning fluid then only use 91
or 99 percent alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has to much water and perfume = oil
in it for this task.

If you still have a problem try disconnecting one device at a time, first
the CDROM, then the hard drive, then the floppy, then pull the network card
out....you get the idea. If things suddenly come to life, then you've found
the culprit.

If that doesn't help try changing your power supply.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I very rarely turn my system off at all, so when I shut it down overnight
>"not sure what made me do it" I remembered why I never turn it off. for
>some reason when my system is cold it takes many , many attempts to boot
>up or just until it is good and warm.......has anyone ever experienced
>this before. I always was under the impression they would operate better
>if they could be kept on the cool side of things.
>
>Brock Hughes
>Meanshoes@telus,net

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml