From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jun 1998 01:31:52 -0600
The 2.0.32 and 2.0.34 kernels have worked flawlessly with the network from
day one.  The reason that I would like to use the 2.1.x kernel is that it is
more efficient with SMP systems, but, of course, if I can't get an IP
address, it doesn't seem much use!

Here's what I've done today:

Recompiled a fairly basic kernel with no sound, no real bells and whistles,
basically just something designed to get the computer on the Internet.
Unfortunately, I got the same results.

It seem that the problem lies with the way that dhcpcd interfaces with the
network drivers that the 2.1.106 kernel uses.  I'm going to try the system
with a 3COM 3C595 card and see if I get any better results.  If that doesn't
work, I think that I've got a tulip card laying around somewhere.

Of course, I don't really have any complaints with using the 2.0.34
kernel...it gets the job done, but you know how it is when there's something
newer out there...

Drew Dunn
Check out the BurbCam!
http://adsl24.bois.uswest.net/drew/hood.html