From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 May 2001 09:14:31 -0600
Rick;
The breakout box you are talking about is called the Creative "livedrive"
there is a  livedrive I and livedrive II with more inputs/outputs.
The livedrive breakout box fits a 5 1/4 slot and hooks directly to
the soundblaster soundcard via ribbon cable, so it won't work with
other soundcards.
I have a soundblaster live platinum 5.1 that has optical in and out to
interface digitally with
my minidisc or I can record from  a cdplayer that has an optical output.
The soundblaster live platinum is around $180 retail, but you can find them
Oem on pricewatch.com
It also has an infared remote control that can control most functions on the
computer.
More info here: http://www.soundblaster.com/products/platinum5.1/
Here is another site with frontx multimedia ports: http://www.frontx.com/
It plugs into the regular soundcard jacks on the back of your computer.
Lets you customize the configuration to your needs and includes usb ports.