From:
"Rand M. Blunck" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jul 2002 15:17:18 -0700
Jim,

If memory serves, with the Win 95 upgrade, you did not need to install DOS
and Win 3.1 before installing.  It would request that you insert your Win
3.1 diskettes (perhaps all of them) during the Win 95 install to verify that
you had them, but not that you had to fully install them beforehand.

Regardless, can you be more specific about what problem you are running into
with the full Win 95 installation?  As in, how are you booting the machine
to come up with a D:\ prompt?  If you are using a boot system diskette, it
may be assigning D:\ to a virtual drive and not your CD.  In that case, you
cannot run SETUP.EXE from your Win 95 CD (on D:\)  and you may not have the
CD enabled.  At the D:\ prompt, enter DIR and check the contents.  If you
see DOS system utilities, then it is a virtual drive.  If so, try switching
to E:\ and run DIR with your Win 95 CD in the tray.  If you see SETUP.EXE
you should be able to install from there.

If you don't have E:\ available, you can download the Windows 98/98SE boot
disk from Free PC Tech at  http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtm   This
enables you to create a boot disk that will give you CD support.  The
download file will be Win98SE.exe, which upon running will request a
diskette and create a boot diskette for you.  When you reboot with the boot
diskette in the A:\ drive, select the option to start up with CD support
when requested.  Then you should find that you can run SETUP.EXE from your
Win 95 CD on the E:\ drive, with D:\ again assigned to a virtual drive.

Good luck,
Rand Blunck
Why Not Try Computing
Glendale, AZ

>I have formated the drive using a boot disk and I think I installed my CD
Rom   drive. I do get the D:\ prompt. However, my full version Windows 95 OS
will not install.