From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jun 1998 09:42:10 -0700
Elizabeth --

I believe you have two separate issues here.

1. Copying masses of files using Windows Explorer uses up a ton of system
resources. It gets slower and slower as you go. Worse, you don't get the
resources back until you reboot. It got so bad for me, I finally quit using
Explorer to copy huge numbers of files, and started using xcopy instead, which
does not have the same effect on resources.

2. Your new 4GB drive will definitely be much hotter than the old 800MB drive
under any circumstances. While I don't believe that heat is having any effect on
your Explorer copying, I also wouldn't keep it where it is for the long term.
If you have an additional 5.25" drive bay open, this would be a good time to put
a removable hard drive bay in it and install your new 4GB hard drive there.

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego
mailto:[log in to unmask]