Date:
Wed, 23 Nov 2005 05:59:27 -0500
 Some USB devices don't like substitutes at all.  Try connecting the modem to a native resident USB port instead of the add-on ports.  The PCI card may be sharing an IRQ with the modem (conflict), and may need to be removed unless you can force the modem to use another com port and IRQ during installation.  You used to be able to do that with Win 95 and Win 98, and maybe you still can.