From:
Kenneth Whyman SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Oct 2010 10:17:11 -0700
I use the Windows 7 Backup utility successfully with a My Book Essential
USB hard drive on my desktop. Never gives me a lick of trouble. Network
Attached Storage may be a different experience. Definitely take Windows
7 over Vista if you need to upgrade. Windows 7 is a vastly superior
product to Vista, though it still has its quirks. It is a Microsoft
product, after all. The biggest thing with a 64-bit operating system is
finding the coresponding 64-bit drivers for whatever devices you use.
The more 64-bit native drivers you can find and use, the more stable the
system will run. If you have two routers on a network, let the one
closest to your uplink do all the heavy lifting as far as DHCP and the
like is concerned, and set the second one as a simple bridge. Ideally, a
single router with switches to expand the port count as needed is a
better solution.

From: Tom Waddell <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, October 09, 2010 8:59 am
To: [log in to unmask]

Thanks. I do not have any ports left on my Linksys 4 port router. I have
done a little research and think I have found what I need.

1- Get the Linksys - PSUS4 - USB 1.1 Print Server with Built-in 4-Port
Network Switch. Free up one router port, attach switch to existing
router and I have 4 more ports and a USB 1.1 printer port. My only
concern is the 1.1 USB. Is it going to be Slow? Should I look for a
printer switch with a USB 2 or maybe a USB 3?

With extra ethernet ports I can attach my laptop to an open port and
backup as needed.

2- Get the Western Digital 1TB My Book World Edition WDH1NC10000N
Desktop Network Attached Storage. This allows me to backup all computers
on the network and allows my wife to print to the networked printer,
even if my computer is off.

Two questions about the NAS. Will it limit the number of computers I can
back up? Looked at a Seagate STAM1000100 FreeAgent GoFlex Home 1TB NAS -
1 TB, USB that seemed OK but it says "backup up to 3 PC's". Can't get an
answer to PC limits on this NAS without calling WD on Monday.

The OS I will be using Win 7 Pro 64 bit. Am told it has good network
software, good backup software and allows use of Win XP programs. Think
I heard somewhere that some external HD will not work with 64 bit. True?
What about setting up a Win 7 64 bit network and expecting Win 7 32 bit
to work on it? I have that on my laptop. I also have 2 other computers
that currently run Win XP 32 bit but am upgrading to Vista 64 bit. I do
not see any problem in getting all these computers to work on the
network, correct?

Thanks for your help. I know I have asked a lot of questions. Just want
to make sure the system I plan the build will work well before I buy
stuff, set it up and find it won't work. I am not a computer tech but
was an electronics tech before I retired. I have been upgrading /
building computers since the days of DOS. I should know more about
computers than I do, but I only work on them every 2 years or so. A lot
changes with computers in that time.

visit our download web page at
http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml