From:
Tom Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:52:10 -0700
Assuming you are replacing a P4 CPU, the MB should be new enough to have a
zero insertion force device. There should be a little handle along a side of
the CPU. Press down slightly on the end of the handle, move it very slightly
away from the CPU and then lift up on the handle. The CPU will then easily
lift out without any force required. As you remove the CPU carefully note
its installation orientation. There is normally a mark or indicator such as
a dot on one corner. If not, look at the pins on the CPU as you carefully
remove the CPU. The pin arrangement on one corner will differ from the other
3 corners. Put the new CPU in the same orientation. Do not force the CPU, it
should drop into place with no force. Reverse the lock down procedure with
the little handle.

I did not go into the CPU fan removal and reinstallation. There are several
models of fans. Their R&R are usually somewhat more difficult than the CPU
though still easy. The ones I've worked with have 2 or more hold down
brackets of some sort that snap into position to hold the fan to the heat
dissipater and the CPU. You should buy or borrow a small amount of thermal
gel/grease to put between the new CPU and the heat dissipater.

This process is not difficult if you have the slightest amount of mechanical
ability and don't mind being inside the computer case. If you removed
anything else to be able to remove the CPU, remember how it was installed
and replace it firmly in the same place and orientation.

Check your MB manual to see if there are any MB jumpers to reset or if there
are any BIOS/CMOS settings to be changed to properly accept the new CPU. I
assume your MB will accept the new CPU. Some MB's will only handle up to
certain speeds. The BIOS might have to be updated to accept higher speed
CPU's.

Don't forget to hook up the CPU fan electric lead. Don't forget to turn the
power supply back on (turn the PS off - not just the computer- before you
start). Don't forget to ground yourself. Don't bend the CPU pins. Don't
touch any of the pins or any electrical contact surfaces. Do enjoy the
improved performance.

If I've missed something, I'm sure one of the other members will help out.

Tom Mayer