From:
Howard Rubin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 2003 13:53:17 -0300
Please clear up a few things first and we can help:  Are you using the
program "DriveSpace", that compresses your files and creates a seperate
drive letter OR are you using Windows Explorer or clicking My Computer to
see how much space you have on your drive?  It sounds like you are using the
Drivespace program.  In the wrong hands this configuration can  be very
dangerous and you can loose all of your data with one corrupted file.  You
can look up Drvespace in Windows Help, Google or Search. Microsoft.com and
see if this program is right for you.  With today´s large hard drives,
frankly, I have not seen the program used in about 5 years working on PCs!
You should be able to use the program to uncompress your 2g drive and
recover all your unused space.  Please write back if you get into trouble.
Howard Rubin
Fortaleza, Brazil

RE: Date:    Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:34:52 -0000
From:    Michele Sayer <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: 10g recognised as 2g in windows

Hi, can anyone help me with yet another problem?
I have a computer which is working fine and running win98, although when =
I look into programs/accessories/systemtools/drivespace, it tells me =
that there is 2g unused and 0g used on C:
Obviously, this is wrong. I have loaded quite a few programs onto the =
hard drive (C), and it was working fine. The last time I loaded a =
program, the computer would no longer start up. It got as far as =
starting windows, then shut down and restarted, going on to scan because =
windows hadn't shut down properly. This happened repeatedly.
I was able to boot into safe mode, and removed the last program I =
loaded, and suprise, suprise, it now starts.
I had suspected this was the problem. I am under the impression now that =
this is an older bios and won't recognise any hdd over 2g.
It still says 0gig has been used and 2gig is unused.
I installed Norton utilities before I was aware of all of this, and when =
I look, that tells me there is nearly 4g drivespace.
It is definately a 10g hdd.
I know there must be a way to force the m/b to recognise the size of the =
hdd, but I'm not sure how, and I don't want to guess.
The bios is set to autodetect, which it does.
At the moment, the way it is, I can't load anything else onto the hard =
drive, or it fails to start. (I'm guessing that the reason for this is =
because it's trying to load programs that are on a part of the drive it =
doesn't recognise?)(That, to me, seems the logical explaination for the =
problem, but how to solve it?)
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. My brain has gone to =
sleep.
Michele Sayer