From:
"Ian C>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:36:54 -0400
Grant Frazer wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>We have a bunch of computers all with 10GB IDE Fujitsu hard disks.  Over the past few months the hard disks have started to fail.  We can't see the hard disk in the BIOS and it doesn't matter what we do we cannot make it appear.  The only way we have been able to rectify our hard disk failures is by replacing them with new disks.  At first I thought this was just a minor fault as it only happened to 5 computers, I now have over 30 computers with dead hard disks.  Is there any known fault with Fujitsu IDE hard disks, in particular the 10GB model?  Is there a way we can make these apparent 10GB hard disks work again so that we don't have to buy new ones?

What's the model number?  A couple of years ago I  had an HP w/ a
Fujitsu 15GB that had intermittent problems (and I'd put off backing up
data).  I once returned from a weekend trip and detected the odor of
burned electronics.  I discovered that the harddrive had fried; circuit
boards burnt black!  PC was plugged in, but powered off that weekend.
In searching for a way to recover data I found that Fujitsu drives in
general, and more so for my model, were notorious for failures.  And my
particuliar incident was not unique (and luckily, not common).  From
what I read I bought another drive in same series (this one a 10GB) and
tried swapping out the toasted one.  Never got it to work though,
although others have reported success.   I've since forgotten model #
(but not Fujitsu), but  may recall it or the same series if I "see" it.
BTW, the HP remained operational; no damage.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help, just wanted to share (warn) of my
experience w/ Fujitsu drives.  Get your data off, and scrap em'.

Ian Carmichael

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml