From:
Gordon McFarland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:03:13 -0500
Hi Kurt

I was looking for a way for my LapTop to boot up off a Floppy (using
Config.sys and Autoexec.Bat Plus the protocol.ini file, etc.) I came across
several sites that helped but one that sticks in my mind is
http://www.bovistech.com/

This site was very useful in explaining how to set up and get PCMCIA
generic enablers.

You might investigate this site for some helpful hints for your situation

"Kurt H. Hammer" wrote:

> I have recently acquired a Hitachi Slimeline laptop.  Both the floppy
> drive and the CD-Rom are external to the laptop.  The laptop did not come
> with a CD-Rom originally, and was purchased separately.  The CD-Rom is
> made by Hi-Val and came with a generic PCMCIA card/cable for the CD-Rom.
>
> Here is my problem - I would like to format the hard drive and install
> windows fresh, but I can not get the CD-Rom to function in DOS.  I have
> gone to both the websites for the laptop and the CD-Rom and downloaded the
> drivers, but had no luck getting them to work.  I recently downloaded a
> third party's software called "cardsoft".  Now I can feel the CD-Rom being
> accessed at boot during the config.sys, but then that's it - it stops.  My
> thoughts are that I have all the software needed to do the job, but that I
> just don't have config.sys and autoexec.bat configured correctly.  At any
> rate I am at a loss and would appreciate ANY help that you can offer.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml