From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:40:40 -0500
Hi,

I would check and see if your main board allows you to boot up from the
CD-ROM.

If so, and 1) the CD-Rom is newer type 16x or better, and 2) you have the
Hollograpic windows 98 se CD-ROM and not the orginally issued one (without
hollogram) you should beable to boot from the CD-ROM and go right into the
Windows 98 setup program.

Make sure you enable large partition (Fat 32 when asked).  If the drive is
already Fat 16, deleate the partion and do it over from scratch.

Alternate idea.

If you have windows 95 boot up and you can read the CD-ROM, try and make a
partition using FAT 32 on the hard disk.  Format the drive, but do not
install the Bootable OS.  ie no /S after format.

Then make a directory on the hard disk, call it setup98 for instance and
copy or xcopy (really pays to learn DOS!) all the files from the
cd-rom:\Win98 directory to the setup98 directory.

You should then be able to go into setup98 directory and run setup and Win
98 should install.

Another choice: (the obvious)
obtain a win 98 se bootable floppy from friend or download and make one
from the internet- they are out there.

At 02:34 AM 02/18/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>I've a CROM Win98 SE, and would like to install it into my computer.
Previously, I had format and partition my HD using a Win95 bootdisk
(Because I do not have a Win98 SE bootdisk). When I try to use Setup Win98
SE using the CDROM, I got a lot of errors. Mostly it stated that I'm
missing a lot of files. Therefore I cannot install Win98 SE. I cannot name
all the files here because it was too much (about 15 of them). I think
maybe because I did not using a Win98 SE bootdisk, that is why I got these
error messages.
>I have two parts question: First is, what file(s) do I need to install any
OS system? Second, do I need to reformat and re-partition my HD if the
problem was Win95 bootdisk? Any help would greatly appreciate.
>Sincerely your,
>John Loc.

God Bless America!

Joe Lore