From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:21:14 EDT
In a message dated 7/4/2002 8:06:58 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< >What problems, if any, might arise if 2 members of the same household
"share" the same internet connection [not at the same time] ie they each have
their own computors and use a common phone line and share an ISP package?
 >Are there any security issues?

If I understand correctly, you're suggesting something like this:  two
computers in the home, you put and ISP (like aol) on both;  both are
connected to a phone line; but both aren't using ISP at the same time;
something like one person has one sign-on name and another person has a
different sign on name;  and you're asking if there would be problems in a
situation like this?  You would encounter the same security issues (hacking
etc) you would if only one person used the account.  In addition though, you
run the risk of someone signing on to your sign-in name and reading your
emails or sending mail using your sign-in name.

I use an aol account among others.  When I go to clients' houses and need
internet access to download drivers etc there is no problem signing on to my
account through their computers.

HTH,
Kevin Nowicki

                     support at our newest website: