From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 23:42:01 -0600
Doug writes:
>What the above line does is limit the amount of RAM that Windows uses to
512 Meg. The line only allow Windows to run without "Out of Memory" errors
with more than 512 Meg RAM. So the rest of the 2 gig is wasted on Windows
95, 98 and ME.

   That's a matter of optimal RAM performance, not usage. Windows 9X WILL
use all the RAM you give it up to 2 GB. Only 1/4 is cacheable, but Windows
will use the rest. In fact Windows 9X will use up to 4 GB of RAM: 2 of
physical RAM and another 2 GB of virtual memory.

    In practical usage a user probably does waste having 2 GB of RAM because
of the resource heaps restraints in 9X. A user will crash long before they
can get benefit of the maximum RAM allowed by 9X. In theory and in coding
Windows 9X can use the full 2 GB in a certain software situation. But with 2
GB of RAM I'd think any user would be silly not to upgrade to Windows 2000
and be done with both niggling restraints. *;-)

All the best,

Russell Smith
Edtech Consultant, Journalist
A+ Certified Technician