From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 1999 06:59:28 -0500
From: Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, June 25, 1999 3:36 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Blurred Text

> > From:    Jun Qian <[log in to unmask]>
> >
> > I believe the problem is called "ghost affect", it usually caused by
bad
> > cable/switch box, or if you are using long vga cable, make sure to
use
> > "high
> > resolution" cable and the conncetors are good. The other issue is
the
> > location, is there any reason that  the location is unsuitable for
> >
> > Earl Truss wrote:
> >
> > > I've just replaced an ATI Xpert 98 video card with a Creative
Banshee.
> > > Graphics displays appear fine but when displaying text, especially
black
> > > lettering on a white background, I can see ghosts of the letters
to the
> > > right of each letter and the text appears blurred and hard to
focus on.

> A simpler, perhaps less effective (but maybe effective enough)
solution
> would be to install a ferrite toroid ("doughnut") at the monitor end
of the
> cable.  Something like a RF transformer core with an area roughly 3/8
in.
> (9 mm) square should do.  If it is split in two halves, this will save
> having to remove and replace the connector.  In a pinch, a large steel
> nut may be "good enough".

My original monitor cable had one of these on one end.  I replaced the
cable with a new one that has one on both ends.  The problem has
disappeared and the display is much brighter and sharper.  It appears
that either the cable went bad when I was replacing the card or the
ferrites helped.  Luckily my original monitor cable had connectors on
both ends so it was easy to replace.   Thanks to everyone for the
advice.  BTW the Banshee is a much better 2D card than my old ATI was
... not to mention the 3D ...

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html