From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Jul 2006 13:16:44 -0700
Doing a little research, the socket A (462) motherboards all have AGP
video card provisions with no PCI Express. The 939 motherboards
primarily come as PCI Express but some have AGP and some have both AGP
and PCI Express.

The ATI Radeon X1600, can be purchased as AGP or PCI Express. To have it
work with your current motherboard you would need the X1600 as an AGP.
If you purchase a 939 motherboard, it depends how the motherboard is
equipped as to how the X1600 can interface with it.

Since the X1600 is classed as a mid performance video card, going to the
extra expense of replacing your motherboard does not make much sense. If
you are looking for high performance, you will need to purchase a better
PCI Express video card along with a good PCI Express motherboard.

I hope this helps.

Tom Mayer

Brad wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> I have a computer with a 462 socket motherboard and wish to upgrade my ATI
> Radeon 9550 video card with a ATI Radeon X1600.  My question is will the
> X1600 work on the 462 or is it best matched with a 939 socket motherboard?
> Thanks for any advise...
>
> Brad
>
>         The NOSPIN Group has added a new feature on our website,
>            web based bulletinboard for questions and answers:
>               Visit our sister website at http://nospin.com

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml