From:
Chuck Hassenplug <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 23:24:00 -0700
Dear PCBUILD,

    I am sure someone else has encountered my problem regarding trouble getting sound in Windows XP, but I new to the list and probably missed it. If the answer lies in the archives, please let me know.

OK, I recently bought a Dell Poweredge 400sc which has a Intel D875PBZ motherboard with on-board audio (Analog Devices with the AD1985 codec). The computer came with a clean HDD upon which I installed Windows XP Pro. Everything went smoothly and I managed to get all hardware recognized except the USB controller (different issue altogether). I installed the audio drivers and Device Manager recognizes the correct sound card and says it is working perfectly. However, when one goes to the Sound applet in the control panel, I see on the first tab (Volume) that there is "No Audio Device" and all options under device volume are grayed out. In the Audio tab, the Default Device drop down box is grayed out for the Sound Playback device. (The Sound Recording and MIDI music playback device have recognized the card fine).
    No matter how many times I have uninstalled the drivers and tried new or older versions, I still get the same result. I have tried drivers from both Intel and Dell. Thinking the problem lay in onboard audio, I disabled it in the BIOS and installed a PCI Turtle Beach Vortex card. Windows found it and installed all drivers, but I have the same problem with the grayed out Playback device box.
    Now I suspect the motherboard itself or maybe  Windows XP or their interaction together. I am quite stumped and I would appreciate any advice anyone might have. (Incidentally, I have an almost identical problem with a Soyo motherboard that has onboard audio as well, made by Ali). Thank you all for your help.

Sincerely,

Chuck Hassenplug

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml