From:
Ethan Matthews <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:30:55 -0800
On Sun, 25 Mar 2001 15:54:54 -0500, Chris <[log in to unmask]> posted
article <[log in to unmask]>, which said:

> I tried to upgrade my eMachines 466is by adding a 40 gb Quantum HDD.
> The BIOS would not register it as a slave drive.
> Contacted eMachines Tech Support to see if BIOS could be upgraded, and if not,
> what is the largest size HDD which is supported.
> They couldn't tell me what size dive it could take, and suggested I contact the
> HDD manufacturer to obtain a DDO (Dynamic Disk Overlay).
> I've been told this is not a good solution, and upgrading the BIOS is the best.
> My machine has a Florida - TG/TGA Micro ATX motherboard.  I have not been able
> to find any info on this manufacturer, to see if they could provide me with a
> BIOS upgrade.  Any suggestions?

I had the same motherboard in an eTower 366i2 I was messing with.  I had a
30 gigabyte Maxtor installed on it, but it was already partitioned as I had
been using it on another computer before installing it on the eMachine.

I was never able to find any info on that motherboard, either, beyond what
was on the www.e4me.com website, which I found disappointing.  All I wanted
to know was what range of CPU's the motherboard could hold.  I tried asking
eMachines, but they wanted to charge me $20 for that information since the
computer was no longer under warranty, those crooks.

Anyway, is there some software that can prepare the drive for use?  When I
installed my 30-gig Maxtor on a Packard Bell Multimedia E-154, which had an
Intel 430VX chipset / PB680 motherboard and a Pentium 150 non MMX, it only
recognized 2 gigabytes of hard drive space until I ran the MaxBlast software
on it.  Then the whole drive was recognized.

I'm not sure if any of that will help, but it's about all I have at this
point.

Ethan

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml