From:
Denzal Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:35:36 +0000
My friend's computer hangs during its boot-up sequence and the following
error message appears: conflict I/O Ports: 2F8.  If you then press F1,
the boot sequence continues, Windows loads and you get onto Windows
Desktop.  But when he tries to go online, he gets the following error
message: "Failed to connect to remote computer.  Unable to establish a
connection".

When I checked some pc forums on the net, I learned that the problem
might be caused by a conflict with On Board Serial Port 2, so I disabled
this in BIOS.  When I booted the machine after doing so, the computer
loaded correctly (it didn't hang or give me the conflict I/O error
message), but when I tried to connect to the net, I still couldn't do
so.  This time the error message read: "Failed to connect to remote
computer.  Could not detect modem.  It may be in use, turned off, or not
installed properly".  I therefore took off the back of the computer and
checked
1./ that the internal modem was firmly in its slot (it was!)
2./ that the cable connection to the phone line was firmly in its slot
at each end (at the modem end and at the phone socket end) - they were!!

I then rebooted the computer, and had the same problems.  Therefore I
went into BIOS and reset the On Board Serial Port 2 to its previous
setting and rebooted.  The first set of error problems returned: the
"conflict I/O" error message during boot up; and the "failed to connect
to remote computer" message when trying to connect to the net.  So it
seems that when the On Board Serial Port 2 is not disabled, the computer
has an I/O conflict, can sense the modem but not connect to the
internet; yet when the OB Serial Port 2 is disabled, the I/O conflict
goes but the computer no longer senses the modem and cannot connect to
the net.  An intriguing problem.

I suspect that the problem is being caused either by a driver problem or
by the modem itself being faulty.  But I could really use some help and
advice about how best to now proceed to get the modem working.  Here is
the configuration of my friend's computer:
        He runs Windows 98  4.10.1998 with the CyrixInstead 6x86MX(tm)
chip and he has 32 MB Ram.  The modem is a non-branded standard internal
modem (I don't know the speed) and the machine is over 10 years old and
was working well until a few weeks ago.

Thanks in advance for your help

Denzal

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: