From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Sep 2000 23:34:53 -0400
Demetri,

I apologize for the long break since my last message.

First let me address your primary concern/problem.
If you want to hear the system sounds, then the external
speakers must be turned on -- at least with the speakers
you are currently using.

My current speaker system (Altec Lansing) will not play
anything with the speaker power turned off.  But before
installing these speakers, I had a LABTEC speaker system
and those speakers WOULD play sounds very faintly with
the power turned off.  Both sets of speakers were/are
plugged in to the same SoundBlaster card.

Perhaps some of the other list members can suggest other
brands of speaker that work with and/or without power.

----

Now on to the physical connection of the internal speaker......
Speakers only have two wires.  These wires can be a red and
black pair or a white and something-else pair.

The red (or non-white) wire connects to pin 1 of the motherboard.
If the motherboard has a 2 pin connector, then the problem resolves itself.
If the motherboard has a 3 or 4 pin connector, then it gets complicated....
MOST (but not all) mobo makers skip pin 2 and use pin 3 as the second
wire lead. So.... in your case, the orange wire should connect to pin 1
(Data Out)
and the white wire should connect to pin 3 (Ground) but (since a
speaker is nothing more than an electromagnetic coil) you could reverse
the wires with no ill effects.  In either case, the speaker will not work
because you have a sound card and driver installed.

I hope this helps you out.

Jim Meagher