From:
Iain Lang <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Feb 1999 19:50:03 +0000
I posted on the List about this some days ago - AMD have issued a patch for
the K6 2 350 to deal specifically with this problem.  Get the patch off
AMD's site.

Yooors,

Iain.

At 08:25 2/25/99 -0600, you wrote:
>I found this tech note on the PCChips Web site:
>
>AMD has observed that the Microsoft Windows 95 operating
>system contains software timing loops that execute too
>quickly on the AMD-K6-2 processor at speeds of 350 MHz
>and above. As a result, AMS-K6-2/350 based PCs will
>intermittently be unable to boot the Windows 95
>operating system. (This observation DOES NOT occur with
>Windows 98 or Windows NT.)
>
>Would those of you reporting problems with the AMD please
>tell us whether you were trying to run Win95 or Win98?
>
>TIA
>
>Michael Eisenstadt
>

>Richard T. wrote:
>>
>> Mike:
>>        Simply put, for me the AMD's which I have done were pretty
>"finicky" If
>> you look back on PC Build for the past 2 or 3 weeks, I've posted several
>> questions to the group. I was having a major memory problem, which was
>remedied
>> by a replacement stick (first lesson: do NOT buy el cheapo memory, spend the
>> extra 5-10 bucks) I had various other setup problems, such as Yellow in the
>> video where there should have been white, this fixed itself and is still
>> unexplaned, but it hasn't come back. Musta been the Pepsodent which I
>smeared on
>> the tube! lol!
>> The machine has been perfectly stable ever since, with no oddities or
>surprises.
>>
>>    Now I am fussing with an AMD k-6 333 for my Bro-in-law. Was bought
cheaply
>> (sans O.S). on an online auction. came with mis-set jumpers as well as with
>> WRONG instructions for mobo(still unidentified).all I can say is I've gotten
>> great with tweezers and Jumpers.. as it has been a trial and error thing.
>>    Most important, the K6-350 was definately worth the hassle, and I agree
>that
>> this is a total state-of the-art chip which I bought at a computer show (oem
>> version) for like $105 or something.. The celeron is a stripped down chevy
>> biscayne(oops, showing my age!) and, other than the overclockers, I know
>of no
>> happy owners (unlike the Biscayne!!) Well, I hope I answered your question
>> somewhere in this rambling! Good Luck, Mike!
>> Rich Tabas
>> Philly town!
>> Oh yeah, the OS loading problem could possibly be due to less than great
>quality
>> memory,or jumpers not jumped just right.. I had that with Win 98, same
>> problems..
>>
>> Mike Buraczewski wrote:
>>
>> > Richard
>> >
>> > When you say the machine was a bear to setup, what exactly do you mean?  I
>> > have been setting up AMDK6-300 and K6-2 350 machines recently, and have
>> > begun to question my abilities.  I have had numerous setup problems, [from
>> > Windows 95 unable to deal with the 350mhz chip to memory conflicts.]
These
>> > problems are in part the reason for my question.
>> >

>>          The PCBUILD web site always needs good submissions.  If
>>           you would like to contribute to the website, send any
>>                hardware tech tips or hardware reviews to:
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html
   You are cordially invited to enter the 1999 "Scottish":
          http://www.micromedia.net/spf/salonhom.htm
  The SPF - a non-profit organisation working on behalf of
     amateur photographers everywhere and anywhere.

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html