From:
Rosie Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Dec 1999 22:00:22 -0800
Does anyone know if the Western Digital Caviar 22100 is incompatible
with IBM's 10.1 gig hard drive?  I've checked both internet sites and
just can't find that info.

At one point, my bios could see both hard drives but only the IBM with
Win 98 started up.  There was no way to access the WD with Win 98 or
DOS.  (I had Win 95 on the WD.  Today I reformatted it and now it has
command.com for Win 98 on it.    Was it necessary to change the OS or
should I do a full install of Win 98 on it?)

I've changed the jumper settings and that hasn't worked.   Note:   For
some reason, my IBM works only using cable select.   If I follow the
diagram for master, it isn't recognized.   I tried both hard drives
using different combinations of jumpers with no luck.

I've read the articles at Nospin and there is one thing that I don't
understand....   That is the reference to terminators.   I didn't see
anything on the WD that might be a terminator.  (I haven't taken my IBM
out recently but I don't see anything at the site about it having a
terminator.)   Would either one of those have terminators?   If so, how
could I easily identify them?

This may be another problem but, the last time I tried accessing both
drives, I noticed that I didn't hear any noise from either hard drive.
I have to use a Y adapter and now I'm wondering if that could be the
problem.  (Note:   I'm sure that it worked before because at one point,
Bios was able to see both hard drives.)

I hope I've given you enough information ... and I hope I didn't
overwhelm anyone with too much information.   I've been fighting this
problem for a couple of months and really would like to get my hard
drives talking to each other.

Thanks for any help!
Rosie Richter

                     visit our download web page at: