From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 18:45:34 -0800
You may read that a BNC produces a cleaner signal but if it does you will
never notice the difference between a standard SVGA cable. The primary
purpose of a BNC jack is to use on non computer equipment ..like medical or
industrial equipment...that is not equipped for a computer monitor.

You can however buy a BNC cable  that has one end which is just like your
SVGA cable to plug into your video card and the other to accommodate the
BNC monitor connectors. The only advantage to a computer user is that you
can use both cables into different computers and then use a monitor switch
to go between the two.

How easy this is to do depends on the monitor. I own two high end monitors
that support both SVGA and BNC cables. An older IIyama 9017E 17 inch and a
Mitsubishi 2040u 22 inch. To switch between computers with the IIyama I
need to bring up the monitor control display, move down the menu to the
Signal Source icon and then pick where I want the signal to go. The
Mitsubishi has one dedicated button on the front of the monitor to quickly
switch between the two cables (PCs).

Keep in mind that you can buy a first rate Linksys electric stackable KVM
switch that will control four computers (monitor, mouse, keyboard)  for
less then  $125.00 at Buy.com so I wouldn't let the lack of a BNC cable
have much influence in your monitor purchasing decision.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

> >   To use BNC, do I need a video card that has BNC output? Or it is
> > possible to convert d-sub into BNC without image quality deterioration?
> > What is the difference between them anyway? (planning to upgrade to 19"
> > monitor, considering options)
> > <> Max Timchenko [MaxVT]

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml