Date:
Fri, 19 Mar 1999 23:34:43 -0800
Jun Qian wrote:

<snip>

> So sad, you are running into bad luck in the states. the situation here
> (Australia) is little different. most customers I meet only ask for ext modems
> (only one asked a internal modem, but soon he changed mind and bought an
> external modem <after he saw the price differenc - only A$5.00!>). other compuer
> shops around also sell more ext modem than int modems. I don't know how about
> other cities, but the city i stay does like int modems. Ext modems seem like
> kicking int modems butt here.
>
> Am i lucky or unlucky?
>
> J Qian

I think you are lucky -- for now.  The trend here is that 56k external
modems are costing about US$100 (+) and with lots of bells and whistles,
while modems under US$50 are all internal and usually winmodem types
(relying on the computer CPU to do all of the work), unless they are a
slower model that is being sold as liquidation.  Since distribution
systems are expansive - I would bet that within a short time you will
start to see the same thing we are seeing here in the US.
--
Jean Bourvic :>))

             to be posted to: [log in to unmask]