From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jul 2004 01:41:39 -0700
  In order for ping to work at all, basic connectivity has to work in both
directions.
  I have seen ping work in one direction and fail in the other under exactly
ONE circumstance:  when there was a filter or firewall blocking it.  Make
sure that the XP firewall is not enabled on the new computer.

David Gillett

On 26 Jul 2004 at 13:26, Steve Brumbaugh wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm adding another computer to my home network and I'm having problems that
> Win XP troubleshooting doesn't seem to solve.
>
> I'm using a wireless network system (Airlink+) that already works
> successfully with the other 2 computers.  I've run the XP network wizard on
> all the network computers.  The new computer has access to the internet just
> fine, but it doesn't recognize the original network computers in Window
> Explorer.  The originals don't find the new one either.
>
> I've run the XP troubleshooters and got to the point where I'm pinging the
> other computers on the network.  All of them have IP addresses.  When I ping
> the others from the new computer, I get responses.  When I ping the new
> computer from the other computers, I just get timed out - no response.  I
> figure this is the problem, but what can I do about it?  Why is the pinging
> only one way?
>
> Any help?
>
> Steve
>
>          PCBUILD maintains hundreds of useful files for download

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>