From:
Dave Gibson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Sep 2000 12:02:35 -0400
Hi David--

ICS *should* work given the setup you've described. I'm assuming a
couple of things: The network works for you and you can see both
machines from each other; you have two network cards in the "server"
-- one for the cable modem and one to connect to your internal home
network. If you have the cable modem plugged directly into a hub, ICS
aint' gonna work for you.

Here are a couple of things to check:

1.) Be sure on your internal network you have IP addresses assigned
dynamically.

2.) I'm assuming you made the Internet Connection Sharing disk when
you installed ICS on the Athon machine. Then, you took this disk and
used it on the Win95 machine.

3.) As far as I'm aware, you can't use ICS and a proxy at the same
time. In fact, I believe if you check the ICS setup tips, you'll see
a warning suggesting you uninstall other sharing software.

4.) That being said, and if ICS is still not working for you, you can
setup a proxy very easily and inexpensively. In fact, I can suggest
one, AnalogX proxy, which you can download from this site:
www.analogx.com . It's free for personal use, and lets you share most
things like ICS does. I don't know if it will permit operation of
AIM, but you can use email, real networks, even Weather Bug and of
course the web browser of your choice. I've not been very successful
setting up an FTP client, but the author says he has accomplished
this as well.

HTH
Dave Gibson
On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 David Hurst wrote:
Subject: Windows 98 Internet Connection Sharing

I have tried repeatedly to get ICS to work on a simple 2 computer
home network; this far without success.  One machine is an 800 mhz
Athlon computer running Windows 98 SE, connected to a cable internet
provider (COMCAST @Home) via a cable modem. Internet connection
works fine.  The other computer is a Windows 95 Pentium II machine.
It is networked to the first computer and the network also works
fine.  But when i try to set up ICS, the Windows 95 machine cannot
access the internet via the 800 mhz one.

My internet provider (COMCAST@Home) will not offer any help in this
area since they would rather i spend some more money with them to
have a second computer hooked up.   They tell me i am using a proxy
(there is a proxy URL set in my Netscape preferences).  Could the
proxy be the reason I cant get ICS to work ?  And, if so, is there a
way to make ICS work while using a proxy ?  If its not the proxy,
any generic suggestions as to what i could be doing wrong.  I
basically followed the guidance at Tim Higgins site
(timhiggins.com).
-- Dave Gibson, [log in to unmask] on 09/24/2000