From:
Patrick Black <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 00:29:55 -0400
From the information your providing can I assume you are networking?
If your using a broadband router (ie. Linksys, NetGear, Cisco, etc..)
connect the computer directly to the Cable modem, and then reboot your
machine.

After you reboot Click on Start, and then run.  Type in cmd and press Enter
or click OK.
You will get a command prompt window.  Type in ipconfig /all and then press
enter.
Look for IP Address, Default Gateway, and DNS Servers (normally more than
one listed for DND). Write these down.

Your IP address should not begin with 169.x.x.x.  If it begins with
192.168.x.x (sometimes 10.x.x.x) , verify you haven't manually specified the
IP in the network adapter properties.  If so, change it back to
Automatically Obtain IP address--same goes for DNS. Otherwise, if it is
already set for AOIP and you get a 192.168.x.x, your router is still
connected to your computer or the Cable Modem is issuing this IP. If your
using the 3Com surfboard (shark fin) then this usually means that there is
not connection to the Cable Signal (light on back flashes yellow and light
2nd from bottom flashes on/off green). IF so you will need to contact your
cable provider to have the signal integerity checked.

Okay, what if it didn't begin with 169? something else?.... I know mine is
in the 24.x.x.x block and is subnetted, but yours may be different. As log
as it isn't a start with 169.x.x.x, 10.x.x.x, or 192.168.x.x you should be
okay.

Okay, try to surf, if your surfing for now. Keep it like this for like a day
or two to see if it comes back up.  IF it comes back it's either (RR network
or local cable problem, or local computer problem).  If doesn't comeback,
but does after reconnecting the router, then it's most likely a problem
between the router and the computer, computer, or router to modem.    You
might also try getting a new network cable, and try using a different swith
port on the router.

-Patrick