From:
Will Stephenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 10:14:15 -0400
" The difference here would be I don't this fourth computer to have access
to my other three computers in anyway. I don't know the terms for this
process or the set-up but I will say I want to let this fourth computer only
have access to the internet and nothing else to do with the other three.
First is isolating the fourth computer from my other three computer
possible"

Hello!

From what I understand you want, the process should be very simple. Allow
the new computer to get its IP address from the router (like I suspect the
rest of the computers on your network do), but give it a different workgroup
name. From your Network Places window, choose the "Set up a small office or
home network" choice on the left side. Follow the wizard, choosing the "use
another computer or gateway to connect to the internet" (not the exact
wording...) choice. Keep going through the wizard until it asks for a
workgroup name: put in something new - like notmshome <grin> - and keep
going through the wizard until it is all done.

I would not be surprised if when you first attached the new computer to the
router, the internet would just start to work for it, even before you run
the wizard. As long as the computer is set to receive its IP address from
somewhere else, that's all it really needs, I believe... At least, I have
found that to be true in a number of cases.

Good luck!

Will Stephenson
Acadia Technologies Inc.
mailto:[log in to unmask]

There are as many paths to God as there are people to walk them.

           The NOSPIN Group is now accepting donations to help
          defer the costs of providing PCBUILD and our website.
           Visit http://freepctech.com to donate using PAYPAL