Date:
Sat, 26 Jun 2010 22:48:55 -0700
Several things:
There's no reason not to use an internal drive for backup. It would
certainly read/write faster than an external drive.
If you really want to use it externally, just remove it and get an
external enclosure. Are you sure this is an extra drive and not just a
partition of the main drive? My ASUS came with a 750GB divided into two
partitions (C: and D:). If it's a partition you'll need to buy another
SATA drive.

I've bought several of these enclosures. They have good reviews and have
worked well for me:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2145406&sku=V13-3254