From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 2010 09:47:51 -0700
-------- Original Message --------
From: Tom Waddell <[log in to unmask]>

> Thanks. I do not have any ports left on my Linksys 4 port router. I have done a little research and think I
> have found what I need.

> 1- Get the Linksys - PSUS4 - USB 1.1 Print Server with Built-in 4-Port Network Switch. Free up one router port,
> attach switch to existing router and I have 4 more ports and a USB 1.1 printer port. My only concern is the 1.1
> USB. Is it going to be Slow? Should I look for a printer switch with a USB 2 or maybe a USB 3?
>
> With extra ethernet ports I can attach my laptop to an open port and backup as needed.

  It's not very obvious, but these sorts of routers are actually two
devices in one small box -- a two-interface router and a 4- (or
sometimes 8-) port switch attached to one of those interfaces.
  In general, you can cascade one switch off another using a crossover
(a crossover cable, or a crossover adaptor with a standard cable, or
some switches will auto-sense that a crossover is needed and reconfigure
the port internally).  Each switch adds a little latency, but probably
not such that you'd notice it.

  As has already been pointed out, USB1.1 should be plenty fast enough
for printing.  These are probably 10/100 Mbps Ethermet ports, so I think
they'll be the bottleneck for drive access, too.

  Dell recently had a Cisco "Small Business" switch for $76 with 8
gigabit (10/100/1000) ports, about the size of an external hard drive.
Far smaller, quieter, and (not that I often need it) faster than my
12-port 10/100 (Cisco model 2912) switch which was state-of-the-art
about 12 years ago.

  Note that common WiFi standards top out at 54 Mbps under ideal
conditions, so for things like backups a wired connection is usually a
better choice than wireless.

David Gillett

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml