From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:30:46 -0500
The only moving parts in a pc are the disk drives and the fans.  (also the
speaker, I guess)  The bearings can go bad.

She should open the case and try to hear where the noise is coming from.
Fans are cheap and may be replaceable.  Disk drives are another story.
There is a fan in the power supply (you can check this fan without opening
the case), a fan on the cpu, a case fan, maybe, and a video card fan, maybe.
Might have another fan or two in some instances.

One way to check on a fan is to turn the computer on with a pencil stuck in
the fan for  a few seconds to keep it from turning.  If it is quiet and then
gets noisy with the pencil out, then that is the source of that noise.  You
can check the disk drives by unplugging the power cables to the drives (one
at a time) before turning on the computer.

As always, you must be very careful not to touch anything else in the case
with it open!!!   Be extra careful when the power is on.  Touching something
could harm it or you!

BTW, the cpu fan can get quite loud when the cpu is being heavily used.
But, if it is too loud, it should be replaced because you don't want it
going bad and having your cpu fried.

Dean Kukral