From:
The Stephensons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 21:49:11 -0400
Hello all!

I am working with a client, trying to set up a network, mostly to give
cable internet access (through Adelphi) to both of their computers. I
got the network up and going through a Linksys router (with a wan port
and three 10/100 receptacles - factory default IP address is
192.168.1.1). However, to make the network work, I had to assign static
IP addresses - the usual 192.168.1.x in the various network
configurations of each computer (one ME, the other XP).

The modem has an Ethernet and a USB port, both of which are plugged
in(!) When Adelphi first connected them up, the modem was connected
directly to the ME computer via USB. They added the router later. When
connected via the USB connection, both computers (individually - not
over the network) can access the internet no problem. When only one
computer (the ME) is connected via USB, the other cannot use the
internet. When no USB connection is used, neither machine can access the
internet.

I allowed the router to do DHCP and neither the network nor the internet
worked. I even read the manual!

So I was wondering if you might have any tips or troubleshooting ideas
that I could use to solve this problem. Methinks that there is a
checkbox somewhere that I've missed <grin>.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Will Stephenson ><>

There are as many paths to reach God as there are people to walk them.

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml