From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 1999 11:39:31 -0500
> "Stephen K. Brown" wrote:
>
> I have AMD K5-133 with 40MB of ram, Windows 98 with Service Pack 1
> My Config.sys is as follows:
>
> DOS = HIGH, UMB
> BUFFERS = 40,0
> FILES =127
> SHELL=C:\COMMAND.COM C:\ /E: /P
> DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe
> device=C:\CDROM\NEC_IDE.SYS /D:MSCD001 /v

> During boot up, I get a message that there is an error on line 7 of my config.sys file.  However, the file above only shows 6 lines?  Additionally, I don't understand the reference in the bottom line to my D drive.  That is the second partition on my hard drive that has a lot of old files and programs on it that I do not use at all.

As has been already noted, if you are not using any DOS software, you
don't need this file at all.  You could rename it or delete it so that
it is not executed.  As far as the error on line 7, it could be several
things.  An unprintable ascii character(s) is most likely.  Try editing
the file with Notepad.  Go to the end of the file, to the position after
the last visible character and press the delete key several times and
save the file.

The /D:MSCD001 is not a reference to drive D:, it is a switch for the
device driver load.  It is a parameter that identifies your CD-ROM
drive.  It is used by MSCDEX when it starts in AUTOEXEC.BAT (you can get
rid of this too if you don't run any DOS programs).  These two names
must match.  They are arbitrary but most manufacturers use MSCD001 as a
default.  Actually, if you don't use your CD-ROM in DOS mode, you'd be
better off to delete or comment out the reference to it in CONFIG.SYS
and let Windows handle it.  HTH

Larry Atlow                              [log in to unmask]
Quality Assurance Administrator
Howard Computers

                            The NOSPIN Group
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org