From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:58:57 -0800
Forcing any part is never a good idea and I would think that doing so  has
probably terminated the drive.
If it no longer opened and closed I would have checked the power connection
first ...did the light come on when the computer started ?  ....and then
used the emergency release to get the CD out.

  If you look at the front of the CDR you will see a tiny hole about the
size of a pin. This is the emergency release. You stick a pin or the end of
a paper clip into the hole which trips a lever and allows you to manually
open the CD tray. About all you can do now is to disassemble it and attempt
repairs.

If you were having problems with it perhaps a sensor was broken or the
laser burned out and it was time for a new one anyway. However forcing
something is always bad thing unless you figure it is gone and un-fixable
and you don't mind breaking it some more.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

At 08:37 AM 1/30/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>The cd tray was stuck and my husband forced it open to get the cd out now
>it won't close. Please tell me what to do to get it to close. When it was
>in he said a blue box came up and said it may need cleaned. It it ruined?
>Thank for any help. Carlene

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com