From:
Bill Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:36:19 -0600
I am hoping someone from the list can shed some light on a handheld
scanner install problem.
A friend has computer with a matsonic 571 board,  300 Cyrix MMX 64mg and
over 2gig hardrive space available.   The problem installing an old
handheld scanner which was in an old 486 25mhz is the port address.
The scanner controller card has dip switches on the back and the
settings options are  280 hex,  2A0 hex, 330 hex, 340 hex.   She
understands scanners are so cheap that to the cost to replace is
negligable, however she wants to use the handheld in order to scan
pictures from books or hard to reach with regular scanner positions for
cataloging or auction listing.
My problem is I don't know how to figure out what port addresses these
would convert to or even if they will convert at all. While trying to
install and test scan the results report not enough system resources. I
did not open it up to find out what kind of card it is but I believe it
to be ISA as it is low in the case.
I just assumed if it would work in an box it should work in one not so
old.  It does not recognize the scanner when the driver is installed.
It just occured to me that possibly the driver is incompatible as it was
working on windows 3.1 and now she is trying to use it in 98 with SR1
patch.  Did I just answer my own question?
Thanks,
Bill Anderson