From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2003 03:08:17 EDT
In a message dated 4/9/03 11:45:45 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> I have to rebuild a system for a client who has a Verizon DSL connection,
> and who  is a AOL subscriber.  This family started out years ago as AOL
> dial up subscribers, and even though they recently added a DSL connection,
> which has nothing to do with AOL, they still only use the AOL services.
>
> I am unsure as to what, if anything, I need to install for them to access
> their AOL mail, and or AOL services.
> Can an a AOL user just log in to the AOL web page, and have access to AOL
> mail and services just like they would using a dial up account?  Or do they
> have to install software in order to use the service. Any enlightment, in
> how to use AOL, with a broadband connection, would be appreciated

Mark,

I'm currently using DSL with AOL ver 8.0.  There are two ways to access AOL
mail.  The first is by using a browser (IE) and going to aol.com.  There they
would put in their screen name and password.  This gives them access to their
mail, create mail etc...but don't think it gives access to all of AOL's
services.  The second way is to install the AOL software.  It will ask, prior
to installation, if you're a new user, established user or just installing
the software.  You can enter in established user.  The setup will go on and
after a few restarts it will connect to AOL whereupon they can enter their
screen name/password.  Then it will examine the computer's connection type.
After detection it will give a couple of choices, ie. connect via
TCP/IP....connect via LAN  etc...Typically, if no LAN is present, go ahead
and choose TCP/IP.  If you're rebuilding on a bench, away from their
connection, you could exit out of that step and complete it wherever they set
up the computer.  Once that is done they can access AOL via the AOL icon
either on the desktop or task bar.

HTH,
Kevin Nowicki

                     support at our newest website: