From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Dec 2006 11:07:14 -0500
Although upgrading a manufactured PC is always a bit of a risk and a bit
more tedious, because of the potential for incompatabilities with standard
components, Gateway does a pretty good job of putting information on their
website about the specifics of their systems.  This allows me to venture the
opinion that it looks like a standard ATX 2.0 power supply will work with
this system.  The current power supply appears to use a 24 pin main power
connector, and it includes the four pin, square 12 v motherboard connector,
as well as the special power leads used by SATA hard drives.  You'll find
all of this on an up to date power supply (i.e., ATX 2.0 or newer).

Higher end PCI-E video cards can also have a specialized power connector.
This is where the need for a power supply that specifies support for PCI
Express comes in.  Although the motherboard can supply quite a bit of power
to the card through the PCI-E slot (more than I think was possible with
AGP), many higher end gaming video cards will still require this extra
connection, direct from the power supply, for proper functioning.  This is a
6-pin rectangular connector.

One thing to be aware of with some of the higher end power supplies is that
they may be a bit longer than your current power supply.  You can always
check this by measuring the length of your current power supply and
comparing it to the dimensions of any power supply you were thinking of
getting.  Vendors like NewEgg are pretty good about including these details,
or you can try to find them on the power supply manufacturer's web site.  In
a smaller case, a longer power supply might interfere with the installation
of optical drives, for example.

John Sproule