From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Jun 2001 20:09:44 -0700
NTFS = NT File System is just another type of File system. It doesn't read
anything...the operating system reads the File System. Windows 2000
supports FAT16 FAT32 and NTFS and will read any of these formats. Floppies
and Zip drives are FAT16.  The operating system will seamlessly make the
conversion when copying from one to the other.

Unless you have real network security needs I would give some addtional
thought to switching to a NTFS partition. NTFS provides good network
security down to the file level, but that security requires two additional
tasks every time the OS reads data. Those extra checks create a performance
hit.

In addition, if things go wrong you will have a hard time getting to your
data. You can not boot off a floppy and access a NTFS partition let alone
troubleshoot it.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group

>I've been using W2K for sum time, but I halven't made the switch to NTFS
>because I've got a lot ov data stored on floppies as FAT32. Will NTFS reed
>these floppies or do I need to downlode them onto the hard drive, make the
>conversion, and then put them on a ZIP or CD-R and store them in NTFS format?
>   Doyle Hirsch

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>