From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jun 1998 14:38:53 -0700
Unless your solar panel is the size of a football field it will not
output enough current to run the PC's electronics let alone the
disk drive motors, fans, etc.

There are devices that can take 12VDC and convert it to 110VAC
but that would be a pointless exercise for you to do since
the system power supply will revert the power back down to
low level DC voltages.

I suggest you find someone willing to design and build two
power supplies for you.  One using a car battery as input
and developing +5 volts and +12 volts output.  The second
power supply would use a reverse wired car battery and
generate the -5 and -12 volt outputs.

One more problem you will need to overcome, automotive
electrical systems are *incredibly* "noisy" and would
wreak havoc on the logic circuits.  You would need to
charge the batteries "off-line" or develop a very
good filter system.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting     Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol   International Webmasters Association
=====